Trains are a form of rail transport, which consists of a series of carriages which are connected together. They can either be powered by electricity, diesel or even steam. During the apocalypse using a train as your group's base has good points and bad points.
- Trains are very hard to breach. They are usually made of thick metal which zombies wouldn't be able to get through.
- They wouldn't get rammed by other vehicles. During the early stages of the apocalypse, if you are driving on the road, you have a very high chance of getting rammed off the road by another vehicle. However, the only thing which will ram a train off the rails is probobly another train.
- There is plenty of room inside. Inside a train, there is a lots of space in the carriages, so you can make many rooms like living rooms, bedrooms, kitchens and there are probably already bathrooms.
- Trains require plenty of fuel or electricity. During the apocalypse, the electricity will probably be down and fuel will become scarce. Diesel trains use about 200 gallons of fuel in 1 hour.
- Due to the fact that trains use rail ways, you have limited choice on where you can go. You can only go where the rails take you. However, the rails connect nearly every major city, so this may not be much of an issue.
- Trains are very noisy. The loud noises made by a train will definitely get the attention of zombies and other survivors who may not be very friendly.